[ntp:questions] Can the line audio out of HF radio be used to sync ntp. Trying to get a cheap ($) radio method.

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Thu Apr 30 15:06:41 UTC 2009

On 2009-04-30, Nathaniel Homier <ntp at universal-mechanism.org> wrote:

> I would like to know if one can use the line audio out of any old
> portable shortwave radio tuned to a time signal and fed via a line
> audio input. This would be motherboard audio.

Yes, if your audio system works with the NTP Audio decoder drivers.

For WWV/H see:
http://doc.ntp.org/4.2.4/drivers/driver36.html
or
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ntp_spool/html/drivers/driver36.html

For CHU see:
http://doc.ntp.org/4.2.4/drivers/driver7.html
ior
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ntp_spool/html/drivers/driver7.html

> The primary reason is that I get the impression that ntp radio clocks
> are for sale at very high prices. The most I have to spend is about
> $200.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, the Garmin GPS-18x LVC is a very good
and inexpensive solution. The receiver is ~$70 (you do need to add a
connector).

For optimal performance you would need to install a serial port card in
your PC to use it. A USB serial port adapter would work but the time
signal stability will be degraded.

> I already have very nice Sony 7600G HF portable and that gets the time
> freq. from 2.5 to 15 very well.

Sounds like WWV ... the Type-36 driver is the one you need.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>