[ntp:questions] Can the line audio out of HF radio be used to sync ntp. Trying to get a cheap ($) radio method.

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 30 18:31:27 UTC 2009

David J Taylor wrote:
> Unruh wrote:
>> Nathaniel Homier <ntp at universal-mechanism.org> writes:
>>
>>> Hello.
>>
>>> I would like to know if one can use the line audio out of any old
>>> portable shortwave radio tuned to a time signal and fed via a line
>>> audio input.  This would be motherboard audio.  The primary reason
>>> is that I get the impression that ntp radio clocks are for sale at
>>> very high prices.  The most I have to spend is about $200.  I
>>> already have very nice Sony 7600G HF portable and that gets the time
>>> freq. from 2.5 to 15 very well.  My computer is the new pci express
>>> and I have no serial port.
>>
>> If you have $200, why not get a GPS 18LVC for about $70 and pay your
>> local radio hobbyist to install an RS232 plug and a USB poser plug.
>> That way you wil get microsecond rather than millisecond accuracy.
>
> Where are you proposing he plug the RS232 lead in?  Buy a PCI/serial card?
>
> David

IF he has a serial port there is no problem.  Up until a few years ago
virtually every PC came with at least one serial port.  Serial devices
are not as fashionable as they used to be but it should be possible to
install a serial port if one is needed.

An older PC works well as a time server; ntpd might use two or three
percent of the available processing capacity.