[ntp:questions] Gretchen - in regard to CertifiedTime it never died...

Todd Glassey CISM CIFI tglassey at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 30 15:50:38 UTC 2009

Gretchen Baxter wrote:
> thanx!
>
> in that case, this is good news for everyone in the timing community.

We think so - and as CertifiedTime's original founder I am overjoyed to
turn CertifiedTime's services back online. The intent when I built
CertifiedTime Inc originally was to build a uniform time source which is
operated inside of an Audit Practice which meets BOTH the RFC3161
requirements (set by ETSI and the EU) for running time service
enterprises as well as those through US Law as well. We at Certichron
are doing exactly that.

This, by the way, is why I keep asserting that the following is
necessary because of the sheer number of implementations using any
number of OS interfaces including those run-time services added here by
the ISC.ORG NTP effort. The same is needed for each commercial release
of NTP including all commercial providers since the Audit Community has
been formally put on notice this key set of definitions and goal's don't
exist, and since they cannot review those test reports they can no
longer allow the introduction of un-certified code into production systems.

    1)   A formal specification of how NTP works with what Kernel
resources and what the thread overhead of those controls inside the
Run-Time Image ace. The intent is to create a set of metrics which can
be used by NTP implementors to tune their releases and to set a 'stake
in the ground' for implementors of appliance style NTP systems.

    2)   A formal specification for testing NTP and a method of specify
partial or core compliance since many of the new controls added don't
really make sense to keep inside all versions of NTP. (Sorry it is what
it is - NTP - IMHO - should not be used for negotiating policy
information - only for moving time around).

    3)   A formal characterization and operations guidelines so the
commercial industry don't get bad advice on the systems and processes
needed to generate that court-admissible evidence.

Todd Glassey