[ntp:questions] Can the line audio out of HF radio be used to sync ntp. Trying to get a cheap ($) radio method.

Todd Glassey CISM CIFI tglassey at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 30 19:22:40 UTC 2009

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
>
>> Unruh wrote:

>>> If you have $200, why not get a GPS 18LVC for about $70 and pay your
>>> local radio hobbyist to install an RS232 plug and a USB poser plug.
>>> That way you wil get microsecond rather than millisecond accuracy.
>>>
>> Where are you proposing he plug the RS232 lead in?  Buy a PCI/serial card?
>>
>> David
>>

> IF he has a serial port there is no problem.  Up until a few years ago
> virtually every PC came with at least one serial port.  Serial devices
> are not as fashionable as they used to be but it should be possible to
> install a serial port if one is needed.
>
> An older PC works well as a time server; ntpd might use two or three
> percent of the available processing capacoity.

Uh - I cant think of a motherboard which doesn't have at least one USB
controller integrated into the I/O controller whatever that is. Most Bus
controllers have an embedded USB controller and at least two USB ports
attached to them. They are part of virtually ALL of the low-speed
bus-hubs (i.e. the Southbridge type devices).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southbridge_(computing)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_Pin_Count

                    and the legacy systems through the ISA bus -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industry_Standard_Architecture