[ntp:questions] Solaris 8 xntpd vs ntpd?

Brian Utterback brian.utterback at sun.com
Mon Aug 3 20:48:40 UTC 2009

Unruh wrote:
> David Woolley <david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid> writes:
>
>> Unruh wrote:
>
>>> xntp is ntpd 3 as far as I know. The current ntp is ntp 4 which has a
>>> lot of improvements and changes. ntp4 is the only version which is
>>> supported.
>
>> I assume that Sun support the NTP V3 implementation that they supply,
>> and wouldn't support the current one, installed lcoally.
>
> And exactly what Sun support do you expect to get? Sun is not an expert
> on ntp.

Well, as the Sun NTP lead engineer, let me just say "Hurrumph"!

But more to the point, Solaris 8 is no longer supported. It is a
perfect match, an ancient OS with an ancient NTP version.

Really, why are you using Solaris 8? Use OpenSolaris. It comes with
NTP 4.2.5p172 already installed and fully supported.

Brian Utterback