[ntp:questions] NTP stops when client address changes?

phil pharwood at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 7 08:29:54 UTC 2009

"phil" <pharwood at bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:h5goi5$fj6$1 at news.eternal-september.org...

> "David J Taylor"
> <david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> wrote in
> message news:h%Qem.64818$OO7.26887 at text.news.virginmedia.com...
>> phil wrote:
>> []
>>> You can also give the PC a fixed IP address and not worry about DHCP
>>> or lease time.
>>> Phil
>>
>> Yes, in this particular application that would be an excellent solution,
>> and one I use myself.  But here, we are dealing with non-computer people,
>> and just getting them to add the port-forwarding to their router (for the
>> application, not NTP) is pain enough.  Having to get them to reconfigure
>> the router for fixed IPs is probablt a little too far!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David
>
> David,
> The implication is this is a simple standalone pc using a home-style
> router. That be the case, no port forwarding is required. There should be
> no change required in the router settings with the use of the fixed IP
> providing the computer ip and subnet is properly set. You should be able
> to point the dns of the fixed ip pc to the ip of the router and it work
> fine.
>
> It's either that (fixed ip) or just use a simple time program that you
> don't have to fuss with like tardis or some generic program to grab ntp
> time.
>
> By the way, ntp servers are not worth a flip if the pc you are running it
> on is turned on/off daily.
>
> Phil

David,
I may have spoken to fast; you might have to set the "network" side of the
router to a fixed address. Leave the DHCP settings alone and it will still
be able vend an ip to another computer or device on the network that has no
fixed ip.

There are many guides on the net on walking one through the settings that
are router model specific. Even most router manufactures have the ability to
walk you through the settings as a customer service for free.
Phil