[ntp:questions] NTP stops when client address changes?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid
Fri Aug 7 10:10:35 UTC 2009

phil wrote:
[]
> David,
[]
> It's either that (fixed ip) or just use a simple time program that
> you don't have to fuss with like tardis or some generic program to
> grab ntp time.
> By the way, ntp servers are not worth a flip if the pc you are
> running it on is turned on/off daily.
>
> Phil

NTP clients work just fine on portables with dynamic IP addresses, in my
experience.  All you are asking for there is that the clock agrees to
within a second.

Normally, I would not be turning server PCs on and off daily, of course,
but I just checked on a stratum-1 PC with a GPS source which had been
rebooted a few minutes ago, and NTP was within a millisecond shortly after
the reboot.

Cheers,
David