[ntp:questions] 500ppm - is it too small?

John Hasler john at dhh.gt.org
Thu Aug 13 17:50:56 UTC 2009

Ulrich Windl writes:
> Well if someone runs ntpd on a machine and does a suspend to disk (or
> to RAM), and then after a few hours resumes execution, ntpd will be
> really confused about the time it missed.

Surely you can configure Windows to shut down ntpd on suspend and
restart it on resume.  My Debian Chrony package does that and I believe
that the Debian Ntp package does also.

> Maybe the solution Microsoft provides fits the needs of those.

Does it keep the clock to within one second of correct?  If so it
probably all that most Windows users need.
--
John Hasler
john at dhh.gt.org
Dancing Horse Hill