[ntp:questions] 500ppm - is it too small?

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Thu Aug 13 19:33:56 UTC 2009

Unruh wrote:

> Agreed with this. If the clock rate changes by some large amount on
> short time scales that is problematic. But the fact that the clock runs
> consistantly 3000PPM too fast need not be problematic at all. (Note that
> chrony, which runs only on Linux, has no trouble with 3000PPM)

NetBSD?

I used chrony on NetBSD 1.5/1.6 a while back and still have logs.

It still doesn't have the rtc support on NetBSD but otherwise for
intermittent internet access is better than ntpd. I've been
trying it again on NetBSD 5. It's still not a solution on NetBSD
for laptops I'm using that have drifted several seconds between
use and then they're only on for couple of hours at most, but
I've not found a better alternative.

David