[ntp:questions] 500ppm - is it too small?

John Hasler john at dhh.gt.org
Mon Aug 17 21:47:39 UTC 2009

nemo_outis writes:
> There are a number of programs (truecrypt, ntp, pgp, etc.) which,
> despite claiming (to varying degrees) to be open-source, are neither
> fish nor fowl.

Ntp is clearly both Free Software and Open Source.  The license is
a straight BSD form:

General copyright and license:

   The following copyright notice applies to all files collectively
   called the Network Time Protocol Version 4 Distribution. Unless
   specifically declared otherwise in an individual file, this notice
   applies as if the text was explicitly included in the file.
* Copyright (c) David L. Mills 1992-2006                              *
* Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and   *
* its documentation for any purpose with or without fee is hereby     *
* granted, provided that the above copyright notice appears in all    *
* copies and that both the copyright notice and this permission       *
* notice appear in supporting documentation, and that the name        *
* University of Delaware not be used in advertising or publicity      *
* pertaining to distribution of the software without specific,        *
* written prior permission. The University of Delaware makes no       *
* representations about the suitability this software for any         *
* purpose. It is provided "as is" without express or implied          *
* warranty.                                                           *

> Ntp, for instance, limits use of the name for publicity/advertising in
> commercially derived works.

I don't see that it does, but even if it did it would still be Open
Source..

> Some licence limitations may seem very trivial but, in my view, they
> can nonetheless be a significant disincentive to broad participation
> (architecture, coding, testing, etc.) or further developmet. This is
> particularly so when the licence is not in a "standard format" (e.g.,
> such as the GNU licence)

The above BSD-style license is as standard as it gets.

> Ntp's licence terms do not fall far short of being truly open-source
> but short is short.

How do they fall short?
--
John Hasler