[ntp:questions] 500ppm - is it too small?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 17 21:55:48 UTC 2009

E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists wrote:
> nemo_outis wrote:
>> PS  I too only use the software to synchronize my clocks.
>>  However, while I am grateful for the years of effort
>>    that ntp reflects, I am not blind to its warts.
>>   And while the opinions of a strong personality may have
>>    driven the creation of ntp, it seems those same
>>    rigidly-held opinions may now be restricting its
>>    further growth and development.
>
> I don't see how, it is open source.

It is open source.  The reference implementation is tightly controlled
by Dave Mills!  The reference implementation, with allowances for the
idiosyncrasies of various operating systems and compilers, runs on a
broad spectrum of hardware and operating systems.

There is nothing to prevent you from modifying that implementation or
writing your own from scratch.  To get your modifications into the
distributed reference implementation, you would have to satisfy Dave
Mills that they were correct, were in fact an improvement, etc.

I believe that the reverence implementation is Copyrighted so there
could be restrictions on distributing modified versions.

<snip>