[ntp:questions] Radioclock connection via serial to usb adaptor on Linux or BSD?

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Sun Aug 30 01:12:44 UTC 2009

Uwe Klein wrote:
> David Lord wrote:
>> E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists wrote:
>
>>> Is 15 quid, 15.00 GBP ~= 24.4057 USD?
>>>
>>>  How cheap do USB serial adapters get, half that at the low end?
>>>
>> Problem is that a half price adapter might work ok and a
>> twice price adapter is useless. Specs aren't easy to obtain
>> and price isn't a guide.
>
> The cheapest variety I have bought was <2Euro each.
> There is no correlation between price and quality ( or driver support )
>
> Linux support is via USB VendorID/PartID ( and you can fudge that
> if you are certain that the specimen you have is just a rename of
> another part  which is quite often the case ).

uplcom: vendor 0x067b product 0x2303, rev 1.10/2.02, addr 2

With serial port of usb adapter disconnected and running
"radioclkd2 -d -v ttyU0:-dcd" there is no debug output.

With serial port of usb adapter connected to MSF module
I get an error from radioclkd2: ppsfetch failed: 25
whereas connected to tty00 I'd get status of dcd line.

However, "radioclkd -s poll -d -v ttyU0:-dcd does give status
and although claimed offset for this mode is only 2ms vs 200us
with timepps mode it will be sufficient for now.

David