[ntp:questions] Remaining synced on an unsynchronised peer?

Michael Butow michael.buetow at comsoft.de
Fri Dec 4 07:09:22 UTC 2009

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 22:27:02 +0000, unruh wrote:

> You stated that you never wanted them to be servers for each otehr, now
> you say you do sometimes want them to be.

Sorry, I gave that impression once by not disclaiming that statement with
"when they do not have external sources". But I have since corrected
myself, and explained (hopefully) that in other cases I do want them to
peer.

> Anyway, you could have a script which does an ntpq on each other them,
> and if it finds that both have disconnected from the external world you
> have the script rewrite the ntp.conf file. Or you can take the source
> code for ntpd and rewrite it to do what you want. Those seem to be your
> two options. Take whichever you find easier. Remember kludges have a
> long long pedigree in engineering.

Agreed, either I need to do some monitoring, or I could try to adapt ntpd
to handle it as I wish.