[ntp:questions] help with setting up NTP on windows with a USB GPS

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Sat Dec 5 23:36:39 UTC 2009

On 2009-12-05, Evandro Menezes <evandro at mailinator.com> wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2:10?pm, "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilber... at comcast.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> unruh wrote:
>>
>> > Please, do not use a Windows box as your main server. get a cheap ( your
>> > local flea market should have one for $50) computer, install linux or
>> > freebsd, purely for running ntp on it, and use it as your server.
>>
>> Elderly computers can frequently be found at curbside. ?Often, there is
>> nothing wrong with them, they are just old and/or slow. ?NTP does not
>> require a lot of computing power!! ?If these old wrecks will boot some
>> form of Windows or Linux they are well suited to not very demanding jobs
>> like running NTPD.
>
> No engineer or analyst or consultant worth its salt would suggest a
> banged up PC to perform any role in a project.

Especially if he were getting a kickback on the purchase.
The point is that any old desktop PC has pleanty of power to act as a
time server. Nothing special is needed. Now some people think that the
onlyway they can get "reliability " is to buy a new machine. good on
them. I hope they have the budget to match. Others make do. It is a well
established engineering tradition, with at least 1000 years backing it
up.