[ntp:questions] fixing ntpq billboard's broken "t" column (bug 1338)

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.delete-this-bit.and-this-part.co.uk.invalid
Fri Dec 11 08:27:45 UTC 2009

"Dave Hart" <> wrote in message
news:d0a8b639-0e8c-435b-992b-7b91e2d5669b at 13g2000prl.googlegroups.com...
[]
> If you are using ntpq from a script, please don't scrape the billboard
> for information.  It's designed for human consumption, and ntpq
> provides all the same information and more via rv/readvar in a script
> friendly variable=value format.
[]
> Cheers,
> Dave Hart

Thanks for that.  I'm afraid that a lot of my Perl scripts for performance
monitoring /do/ scrap the output from various ntpq commands, so changing
those would break my scripts.  However, having said that, as long as the
format of the field remains unchanged - i.e. a single character - I don't
think it will affect the particular scripts I use.

Cheers,
David