[ntp:questions] ntp-4.2.6 doesn't compile for Windows

Hassan hbdivers2 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 19:00:16 UTC 2009

On Dec 31, 4:42 pm, Dave Hart <daveh... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 31, 15:47 UTC, Hassan wrote:
>
> > I can't compile ntp-4.2.6 for windows.
> > I am using Visual Studio 6.0, and i get the following error and
> > warning :
>
> > libntp - Win32 Release
> > decodenetnum.c
> > D:\MISTRAL-ClientSMDI\ntp\ntp-4.2.6\libntp\decodenetnum.c(25) : error
> > C2079: 'hints' uses undefined struct 'addrinfo'
> > D:\MISTRAL-ClientSMDI\ntp\ntp-4.2.6\libntp\decodenetnum.c(46) :
> > warning C4013: 'getaddrinfo' undefined; assuming extern returning int
>
> I don't have VC6 to try building with.  I can tell you with the
> current compiler, struct addrinfo is declared in ws2tcpip.h, which is
> included from ports/winnt/include/config.h.  I'm guessing you're using
> the original SDK components (headers and libs) that came with VC6 and
> predate IPv6-related structures and functions like struct addrinfo and
> getaddrinfo().  Still, that doesn't quite make sense to me because I
> was under the impression Danny Mayer builds NTP on VC6 using the
> original VC6-bundled headers and libs successfully.
>
> You could consider downloading and installing the free "express
> edition" of VC9/Visual C++ 2008, which I know builds NTP successfully
> several times a day for me:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/Express/VC/
>
> Cheers,
> Dave Hart

I can't use express edition because we have to use VC6 to compile ntp.

But now that I've searched, I can't find the declaration of struct
addrinfo in VC6 headers !!
What should I download to have it declared ? Is there a code that
enables VC6 to support IPv6 ?
What about struct addrinfo definition found in ntp-4.2.6\lib\isc
\win32\netdb.h ?

Thank you in advance