[ntp:questions] ntp-4.2.6 doesn't compile for Windows

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 19:38:14 UTC 2009

On Dec 31, 19:00 UTC, Hassan wrote:
> I can't use express edition because we have to use VC6 to compile ntp.

I am curious why you are restricted to such an ancient compiler.  It
is deficient in its lack of supporting implicitly converting unsigned
64-bit integers to doubles, causing substantial ugliness in ports/
winnt/ntpd/nt_clockstuff.c.  I am looking forward to the day we can
drop support for VC6 from the NTP sources, so please enlighten me on
why that is a problem for you.  In particular, I'm having a hard time
inferring why VC++ 2008 EE, or any VS 2003 or later, wouldn't suffice.

> But now that I've searched, I can't find the declaration of struct
> addrinfo in VC6 headers !!
> What should I download to have it declared ? Is there a code that
> enables VC6 to support IPv6 ?

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Windows_SDK

"the Windows Server 2003 Platform SDK released in February 2003 was
the last SDK to provide full support of Visual Studio 6.0. Some older
PSDK versions, including the February 2003 SDK can still be downloaded
from the Microsoft Download center [...]"

which links to the 15 (nice) separate downloads comprising that SDK.
I didn't search, there may be a web installer or a way to download
a .iso.  The release notes or installation instructions included with
the SDK should tell you how to integrate it with Visual Studio 6.  You
could be a bit more adventurous and try a newer SDK and integrate the
headers and libraries manually somehow.

Good luck,
Dave Hart