[ntp:questions] ntpd failure on ioctl(I_SETSIG, S_INPUT): Bbad address

Wayne Liu wayne.liu at impinj.com
Fri Feb 6 02:26:13 UTC 2009

Hello All;

I'm running the latest ntp-4.2.4p6 on Linux 2.6.18 and I got the
following up front when I start ntpd:
===========
ntpd 4.2.4p6 at 1.1549 Fri Feb  6 02:09:46 UTC 2009 (3)
setsockopt SO_TIMESTAMP enabled on fd 16 address 0.0.0.0
bind() fd 16, family 2, port 123, addr 0.0.0.0, flags=0x89
addto_syslog: init_socket_sig: ioctl(I_SETSIG, S_INPUT) failed: Bad
address
==========

>From the kernel code it seems that "Bad address" is due to I_SETSIG not
being supported by sock as an ioctl cmd, which is then passed down to
dev_ioctl underneath which rejects the arg S_INPUT as bad address.

I noticed the code that invokes ioctl(I_SETSIG, S_INPUT) is gated by
#ifdef USE_UDP_SIGPOLL, which the auto configure turns on.  But the
kernel somehow thinks it's not supported.
Am I doing something wrong with the configure?  Or is there a Linux
kernel version dependency that I'm missing.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Wayne