[ntp:questions] ntpdate works, but ntpd doesn't (reach = 0)

Uwe Klein uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de
Tue Feb 10 11:05:44 UTC 2009

>>If ntpd is restarted, it is Bad for the time to be stepped backwards for
>>many people.  Since this could happen with -g, when restarting ntpd for
>>this common case, one should not use -g.

If you step forward the system effect will be comparable to "limbo"
nothing has happened for an interval. we can live with that.
( Though cron,batch,at may stumble )

If you step backward in time you are in danger of running into
future timestamps.

Think of a make in progress that sees timestamps for prerequisites
as older than the target file due to the backward timestep.
Unpleasantness ensuess.

uwe