[ntp:questions] Very rapid polling

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 10 14:33:08 UTC 2009

Unruh wrote:
> "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> writes:
>
>> jlevine wrote:
>>> In the last few days I have seen an increasing number of systems that
>>> are requesting the time in NTP format several times per second. This
>>> poll interval is far in excess of the usual best practices. Since
>>> there are a number of such systems, it is possible that this problem
>>> is a result of a new version of NTP that has just been released.
>>> Please let me know if you have any information about a new version of
>>> NTP that can do this or if any of you are seeing the same problem.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Judah Levine
>>> Time and Frequency Division
>>> NIST Boulder
>
>> Have you captured the IP addresses of the systems involved?  If so, have
>> you identified the ISP responsible for those addresses?  Complained to
>> the ISP?  Etc, etc?
>
>> The half witted will always be with us. . . .
>
> There is no way you can set up ntpd so that it will poll many times a
> second, unless there is a severe bug in ntp. He is asking if perhaps such a
> bug exists in the latest version of ntpd ( since the latest version just
> came out a month ago, and latest devel version a week ago, this would be a
> sensible worry).
> Alternatively one of those modem manufacturers may have screwed up again,
> or some ntp  like program has come out that has such a default.
> I agree that asking the IP addressee what it is that they are running might
> work, but probably not.

It may take a while to get results but if the only alternative is to do
nothing and suffer. . . .  The ISPs have the power to cut these idiots
off at the knees!  Whether they are willing to do so is something you
have to ask them.  They also have the ability to reduce a network
address to a street address.  Again, you have to ask.  If you ask on
NIST letterhead, your chances of being taken seriously are much improved.

As I recall my contract with Comcast, they can simply cut me off in
response to just about any sort of abuse.  If nobody complains, I can
get away with practically anything!