[ntp:questions] ntpdate works, but ntpd doesn't (reach = 0)

Nero Imhard nim at pipe.nl
Tue Feb 10 21:33:39 UTC 2009

Uwe Klein wrote:

> Not really distribution specific. Look into the ip_up/down stuff on
> any linux system.

Well, linux-specific then ;-)

Some smartass thing called "network manager" has bitten me in this
respect even on a system with totally static interfaces. It's enabled by
default (on Ubuntu) and screws things up for ntpd right at system boot.

> Its a dynamic IP problem and its a ntpd problem due to no signaling
> path for interface changes.

It's a matter of opinion whether it is reasonable to want to run
full-blown ntpd on systems that are so unstable (interface-wise) taht
they need mechanisms to handle interface changes automatically. And you
can guess mine...