[ntp:questions] Very rapid polling

David Mills mills at udel.edu
Wed Feb 11 04:44:07 UTC 2009

Judah,

Recent versions of NTP have very serious rate controls that prevent
clients from exceeding specified burst rate and average headway
constraints, even if improperly configured.  Client packets that violate
these constraints are discarded and, if so configured, the server will
toss back a rate-controlled Kiss-o'-Death packet. A client receiving a
KoD packet will reduce the sending constraints to near catatonic levels.
These defenses are described in the online documentation.

So, unless somebody hacks the implmentation, I doubt NTP is the problem.

Dave