[ntp:questions] ntpdate works, but ntpd doesn't (reach = 0)

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 11 13:51:48 UTC 2009

Martin Burnicki wrote:
>> Martin> The basic thing I don't understand in the context of this thread
>> is Martin> why the behaviour with -g should not become the default
>> behaviour Martin> for ntpd.
>>
>> Because -g overrides a sanity check.
>>
>> It is better to actively override a sanity check than it is to require an
>> active action to provide a sanity check.
>
> Or in other words, the question is whether that sanity check makes sense
> right after startup.
>
> Martin

"Quisnam igitur sanus?"  Horace

That translates to "Who then is sane?"

If NTPD queries four or more servers and gets responses that more or
less agree then I think NTPD would be justified in setting the clock to
its best estimate.  It's still going to take somewhere between thirty
minutes and ten hours before NTPD can be reasonably certain that it does
have the time correct to within, say, fifty microseconds.

If you want -g it's easy enough to get it without making it the default
for everyone.