[ntp:questions] Garmin 18 LVC: whether to fudge

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Feb 11 14:26:39 UTC 2009

Once upon a time, Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> said:
>My bet would be that there is an asymmetry in your ADSL link!   If I'm
>not mistaken, the "A" in ADSL stands for asymmetric!

The asymmetry in ADSL is in bandwidth, not path or latency.  More
frequency space is used for downstream (ISP->end user) communication
than for upstream, but both travel the same path.

There may be asymmetric routing going on (very often the case when you
talk to a host across the Internet, especially if either your ISP or the
remote host's ISP are multihomed), but it is highly unlikely it is
happening between the end user and his own ISP.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>