[ntp:questions] ntpdate works, but ntpd doesn't (reach = 0)

Nero Imhard nim at pipe.nl
Wed Feb 11 22:56:26 UTC 2009

Martin Burnicki wrote:

> Why shouldn't ntpd be run e.g. on a laptop?
[...]
> And surely this results in the question which has been discussed here
>  several times: why does it takes so long for ntpd to adjust an
> initial tiny offset of a few milliseconds?

In my understanding, ntpd was designed as a tool to discipline clocks of
systems that need (or need to provide) very accurate time, and not as a
general-purpose clock-setting tool.

The requirements that would mandate the use of full-blown ntpd are
mainly found on systems that stay up and connected for long stretches of
time (time servers, measurement and monitoring systems, loghosts, file
servers, etc.).

There may well be examples of laptop use cases that require full-blown
ntpd and where periodic setting using sntp is unacceptable, but I think
they are rare.

For this reason, I also think that shortening the time it takes ntpd to
do its initial adjustment is not very relevant to its (presumed) design
goals.