[ntp:questions] ntpdate works, but ntpd doesn't (reach = 0)

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Wed Feb 11 23:34:05 UTC 2009

Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org> writes:

>Martin> The basic thing I don't understand in the context of this thread is
>Martin> why the behaviour with -g should not become the default behaviour
>Martin> for ntpd.

>Because -g overrides a sanity check.

>It is better to actively override a sanity check than it is to require an
>active action to provide a sanity check.

The sanity check is whether or not the clock it too far off. When ntp is
started it is expected that the clock is way off, and that the sanity check
becomes an insanity check. Ie, if the system behaves badly in situations
where everything is behaving as expected, then that is not a useful sanity
check.