[ntp:questions] ntpdate works, but ntpd doesn't (reach = 0)

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Thu Feb 12 23:46:28 UTC 2009

Unruh may have written:
> The sanity check is whether or not the clock it too far off. When ntp is
> started it is expected that the clock is way off, and that the sanity
> check becomes an insanity check. Ie, if the system behaves badly in
> situations where everything is behaving as expected, then that is not a
> useful sanity check.

Martin> This exacly meets my point.

ntpd cannot tell if it is being started from an initial boot or from a
restart.

-g is usually appropriate on an initial start.

-g is usually inappropriate on a restart.

The initial start condition is, I believe, generally scripted.

Humans seem to handle more restarts.

Therefore it is better to have the human case require the fewest options,
and I believe the current implemented behavior is correct and the most
desirable.
--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!