[ntp:questions] ntpdate works, but ntpd doesn't (reach = 0)

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Fri Feb 13 02:26:58 UTC 2009

Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org> writes:

>Unruh may have written:
>> The sanity check is whether or not the clock it too far off. When ntp is
>> started it is expected that the clock is way off, and that the sanity
>> check becomes an insanity check. Ie, if the system behaves badly in
>> situations where everything is behaving as expected, then that is not a
>> useful sanity check.

>Martin> This exacly meets my point.

>ntpd cannot tell if it is being started from an initial boot or from a
>restart.

>-g is usually appropriate on an initial start.

>-g is usually inappropriate on a restart.

Why is -g inappropriate from a resttart. If the clock is still very close
to right, it will make no difference. If for some reason on restart the
clock is out, then -g is appropriate. Ie, I cannot see why it would hinder
anything if it were run on restart.

>The initial start condition is, I believe, generally scripted.

>Humans seem to handle more restarts.

>Therefore it is better to have the human case require the fewest options,
>and I believe the current implemented behavior is correct and the most
>desirable.

That is why the suggestion is that -g be the default on start or restart.
That way humans have the fewest options, and the best bahaviour.