[ntp:questions] ntpdate works, but ntpd doesn't (reach = 0)

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Fri Feb 13 04:47:19 UTC 2009

Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org> writes:

>Unruh> Why is -g inappropriate from a resttart. If the clock is still very
>Unruh> close to right, it will make no difference. If for some reason on
>Unruh> restart the clock is out, then -g is appropriate. Ie, I cannot see
>Unruh> why it would hinder anything if it were run on restart.

>I'm getting tired of repeating myself.

Repeating yourself is different from explaining yourself. You feel that
ntpd should have "not -g" as the default. A number of us suggest that -g is
a more appropriate default (ie so that to stop ntp from doing a time reset
once would then require some flag).
You say I can rewrite ntpd, or set up a special ntp.conf file or...
But I still do not understand why -g should not be the default.

But I guess it is similar to my not understanding why ntpd uses a very
simple primative markovian discipline routine, whose answer also seems to
be "Because".

>You are free to write your own ntp.conf files to implement whatever policy
>you choose.  We already have the mechanism to support this.

>This situation will improve even more when

> https://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Dev/GettingNtpdItsConfiguration

>has been implemented.

I do agree it is not a big issue.