[ntp:questions] Experimental ntpd for Windows

Adri Koppes A.Koppes at inter.nl.net
Fri Feb 13 20:06:21 UTC 2009

Dave Hart <davehart at gmail.com> wrote:

>Are you using ntpd on Windows and dissatisfied with its timekeeping?
>I have a patched ntpd with changes intended to improve its accuracy
>that could use some wider testing.  Source and binaries are linked to
>below.

Dave,

I download
http://davehart.net/ntp/testbin/ntp-4.2.4p6-DLH-QPC-20090211-bin.zip.
Ntpd.exe runs fine on a Windows 2003 server, but fails on a Windows 2000
server.
When I try to start ntpd, using 'net start ntp', an error is logged:

Application popup: ntpd.exe - Entry Point Not Found : The procedure entry
point getnameinfo could not be located in the dynamic link library
WS2_32.dll.

Do you think this is caused by using the newer VC 2008 compiler and
libraries, or did you make some changes to the ntpd code, which uses
getnameinfo()?

Adri.