[ntp:questions] All the members of a network are trusted hosts

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.org
Sun Feb 15 15:32:43 UTC 2009

Bartholome, Alain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could you tell me what are the consequences especially from the  security
> point of view , if  all the members of the network which must be
> synchronized are trusted hosts, have trusted generated certificates.

Well you can rely on them when using the autokey protocol to provide you
with a reliable source of time.

> Does this make any  sense?
>
> Does this makes sense for  trusted certificate only?

It's a little hard to interpret since you haven't defined what you mean
by trusted hosts and trusted generated certificates. Are the trust hosts
trusted because you've used DNSSEC to find them, or some other method?
What is trusted about them? With certificates, who and what generated
the certificates and how were they distributed to other nodes?

Maybe a little more explanation of your needs would help so we can
answer the question.

Danny