[ntp:questions] ntpdate works, but ntpd doesn't (reach = 0)

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Mon Feb 16 11:27:49 UTC 2009

Danny Mayer wrote:
> Martin Burnicki wrote:
[...]
>> The fix for this which improved the behaviour at least a little bit was
>> in 4.2.4p5.
>>

> And as I said in that bug report, it's not a real fix since there are
> other issues that need to be dealt with. intres has a set of problems
> that need to get fixed first. 987 is just a patch for a larger set of
> problems.

And as I've said the fix changes the misbehaviour *I* had reported, so it
works much better at least for this situation, which is not quite uncommon.

>>> I know that. My laptop never shuts down. It changes IP addresses all the
>>> time as I move from office to conference room and back again and then
>>> home.
>>
>> As mentioned above there should be no problem with this as long as the
>> upstream servers' IP addresses have already been resolved.
>>

> And that won't even matter when I get the changes in that I referenced
> in the URL.

What is being discussed under that URL may improve the overall behaviour if
it will be implemented some time.

However, the fix lets people use ntpd *now* under conditions where it had
worked very poorly before.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki