[ntp:questions] NTP over redundant peer links, undetected loops

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 01:45:12 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 4:13 PM, Dave Hart <davehart at gmail.com> wrote:

> when it comes up my local IP stack has a problem.  You see, my network
> at home is also in the ever-popular 192.168.1.x subnet.  Every time I
> try to send a packet to my desktop machine at 192.168.1.10, my IP
> stack tries to deliver it to some other hotel NAT cesspool customer,
> and the packet never makes it to the VPN.  There are a million
> variations possible.  Build a B2B link between two companies whose
> network architects didn't plan in advance for that scenario.

We generally use randomly selected 10.X.X.X subnets for private
addresses, which tend to avoid such issues. In fact, we've never had a
user or partner with conflicting IP space issues on a VPN since we
switched to that scheme almost ten years ago. Everyone seems to use
something in the 192.168.0.0/16 space, so we just don't ;-).
--
RPM