[ntp:questions] tardisnt unexpected WAN access

Mike -- Email Ignored m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 17 15:36:25 UTC 2009

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 03:24:03 +0000, Danny Mayer wrote:

[...]

> While it is natural to ask questions about tardis here I don't remember
> the last time anyone asked anything here about the product. There have
> been lots of complaints about tardis's bad behavior at one time but I
> believe all of those have been corrected.

Except for the unexpected WAN attempt, TARDIS has been working
fine on my Win2k system for years.

> Having said that I would guess that there is something wrong with your
> DNS lookup.

[...]

Not a DNS problem.  There are no DNS servers on my LAN.
The local NTP server is defined in the hosts file.

> You are better off installing the free Windows version of ntp reference
> implementation in which case you would get lots of answers here. Why pay
> for something that you can get for free and for that matter is far
> better even on Windows? Check out Meinberg's installer here:
> http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm and you will never look back.

I don't remember whether I paid for it; I think that they have
a free download.  As for "far better", while I have no experience
with the product you mention, my general experience with Windows
would not lead me to expect anything to be "far better".

> Danny

Mike.