[ntp:questions] Regarding Primary/Secondary NTP setup

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sat Feb 21 16:17:39 UTC 2009

malayter at gmail.com wrote:
> On Feb 19, 2009 12:28pm, Danny Mayer <mayer at ntp.org> wrote:
>> You should avoid NAT devices as they cause problems with the source and
>> destination addresses. This gets really bad with autokey.
>
> Avoiding NAT is impossible in today's Internet; we only have about 2 years
> of IPv4 addresses left at current allocation rates.
>
> This is why NTP autokey is DOA in my opinion. Any protocol that cannot deal
> with NAT sensibly simply will not be widely deployed (at least until IPv6
> is universally available and routable, which will be about the same time
> hell freezes over).

IP V6 has been available for at least five or six years now.  The
Solaris X86 install used to ask if we wanted to include support for it
back in 2004.  AFAIK no one uses it because no one routes it.

It's dead in the water until the infrastructure; e.g. routers and
switches, support it.

AFAIK, that infrastructure support is either missing entirely or there
is not yet enough of it in place.