[ntp:questions] ntpd on embedded risc

cnm3332 at gmail.com cnm3332 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 17:14:46 UTC 2009

On Feb 20, 10:27 pm, Unruh <unruh-s... at physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
> David Woolley <da... at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid> writes:
> >Unruh wrote:
> >> Then do not use ntp. Its behaviour is converging to the correct time is
> >> very very slow. It is a completely inappropriate tool for the requirement
> >> that you have. chrony is much better.
> >chrony is excluded because it doesn't support locally attached reference
> >clocks.
>
> Agreed. I was so concentrated on the rate question I negected the fact that
> he is running a PPS clock.
> So at present he is stuck. Make sure you have no /etc/ntp/drift file. Use
> -g, and use the iburst, etc to try to reduce the startup transientx.

So, I will need to let NTP run for long time, to build correct drift
file, which might
help with accuracy and sync time?   So should this be my ntp conf file
for
doing this

ntp.conf
server 127.127.28.0 minpoll 4 maxpoll 4
fudge 127.127.28.0 burst iburst refid NMEA
server 127.127.28.1 minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 prefer
fudge 127.127.28.1 burst iburst refid PPS

Not sure I understand need for -g option though.
I'm was looking at other computers to try, something
small and low power, and found this neat little thing:
http://www.axiomtek.com/Download/Spec/ebox530-820-fl.pdf