[ntp:questions] Regarding Primary/Secondary NTP setup

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 23:25:11 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 10:17 AM, Richard B. Gilbert
<rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:
> IP V6 has been available for at least five or six years now.  The
> Solaris X86 install used to ask if we wanted to include support for it
> back in 2004.  AFAIK no one uses it because no one routes it.
>
> It's dead in the water until the infrastructure; e.g. routers and
> switches, support it.
>
> AFAIK, that infrastructure support is either missing entirely or there
> is not yet enough of it in place.

It's not just routers, switches, and firewalls. So many *applications*
presume the use of IPv4 and rely on IP addresses being 32 bits that
the transition is a nightmare. Things like corporate AV software,
IDS/IPS, and even line of business apps like financials packages have
IPv4 dependencies.

All major OS - even Windows - have had good IPv6 support for 5+ years
now, but the applications in general do not.

The IETF did us all a disservice with their transition plan... IPv4
space should have been embedded in IPv6 space, and the new protocol
should have been interoperable with the old to create a smooth
transition. Much like SMTP->ESMTP, for example, which happend
incrementally over the course of a decade.
--
RPM