[ntp:questions] question on leap second insertion in syslog

Manikandan D dmani at Narus.com
Tue Feb 24 09:48:53 UTC 2009

Hello to the great brainy(s) out there..

Quick question about the logging of leap second in the syslog... we have few number of Linux boxes, last year December 2008 23:59:59 when there was a leap second inserted, all the systems reported "Clock: inserting leap second..."

But in our local testing for leap second inserting we noticed that the syslog reported "discipline status change 0010" at times "discipline status change 0011"

Can someone please explain me the difference here? I understand there are no issues, but for documenting purpose I need the information, your inputs will be highly appreciated..

Thanking you in advance..

ManI