[ntp:questions] improving ntpd performance on Windows

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Fri Feb 27 15:28:55 UTC 2009

Dave,

Dave Hart wrote:
> If you're using ntpd on Windows synchonizing to a stable local source
> (whether refclock or simply ntpd on a heretofore more-stable platform
> for timekeeping) I would appreciate your help testing my 20090226 test
> version.  The approach to interpolating time using a high-frequency
> counter has been reworked and on my machines with a precision source,
> has taken roughly 500us of jitter away.
>
> I'm particularly interested in how it works on systems with 100 Hz
> system clock interrupts (10 msec period).  All my test flock are 64
> Hz.  This version (and my prior test versions going back weeks) tells
> you your system clock period in the event log or configured log file:
[...]

I've just installed your binary on one W2k and one Vista32 machine. I'll let
it run over the weekend and report.

I've also got an old machine with 10 ms clock interval. However, I have
installed NT4 on that one, and your binaries refuse to start under NT4.

I've tried to recompile your sources in my VC6 environment, but there are
lots of build errors. I don't have the time to fix these now, so I'll have
to give up on this for now.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki