[ntp:questions] Is the use of the leap seconds mechanism mandatory?

Thomas Schulz schulz at adi.com
Fri Feb 27 17:53:14 UTC 2009

In article <bBBpl.13815$Db2.6448 at edtnps83>,
Unruh  <unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>alain.bartholome at eads.com (Bartholome, Alain) writes:
>
>>Hi,
>
>>The primary reason why  I need NTP is the synchronization of the systems,
>>not the accuracy of time.
>
>>I need to simplify the maintenance of the systems as much as possible.
>
>>I would like to know if it is mandatory to use the leap seconds mechanism
>>and installing the up to date leap file in order to have ntpd working
>>smoothly.
>
>If you do not care what time it is then no, you do not need to do leap
>seconds ( or days).

I would say that if you do not care that you time could be 1 second off
and do not care that your time could jump by 1 second then you do not
need to have an up to date leap second file.  Also, if you know that your
reference time source does propagate leap second information, then you
do not need a leap file.

--
Tom Schulz
schulz at adi.com