[ntp:questions] leap_add_sec still being advertised ?

David Malone dwmalone at maths.tcd.ie
Mon Jan 12 20:21:08 UTC 2009

Unruh <unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca> writes:

>Well, the leap standard actually says that a leap second is possible at the
>end of any month, with June/dec being prefered, AprSep being next on the
>list and the rest being down there.

Indeed - though that's not likely in the near future.

>Now, ntp has code to say that only June or Dec are accepted, but that is
>contrary to the standard. So, none of them should say that there is leap
>second coming.

Exactly - I think this lingering-leapbits thing is a problem that
probably needs to be looked at, but it unlikely to cause many
problems in the near future. The rules for passing on leap bits
have gradually changed, and I guess what we are seeing is a mix of
different sets of rules being applied in different places.

	David.