[ntp:questions] Bugfix Release for NTP Installer for Windows (4.2.4p6 at vegas-v2)

Heiko Gerstung heiko.gerstung at meinberg.de
Tue Jan 13 08:38:42 UTC 2009

Hi there!

We spotted a network problem with the NTPD binary that has been included in our
Vegas installer and therefore released vegas-v2 which can be downloaded on our
website. Most likely users with wifi, dialup or other slow (i.e. with delayed
initialization) connection types are affected by this.

I forgot to set the FORCE_DNSRETRY define in config.h, this results in NTPD not
mobilizing associations if the configured servers could not be resolved at startup.

You can check if you are affected by using only hostnames (not IPs) in ntp.conf
and afterwards reboot your machine. If your network interfaces come up after the
NTP service has been started, NTPD will not mobilize the association because it
tries to resolve the hostname which fails due to the non-existent network
interface. In this situation a simple manual restart ("restartntp" on a command
line) will result in a perfectly running NTPD.

If your NTPD runs fine without requiring a manual restart after booting your
machine, you can safely stick to vegas and do not need to update to vegas v2.

The only other small change for vegas-v2 is that starting with this release we
will digitally sign the NTP binaries and additionally the provided OpenSSL DLL
with our Meinberg key.

Download as always available here:
http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm

Sorry for the fuzz and trouble, I hope we catched this early enough. Any
questions? Please contact us at ntp-support at meinberg.de ...

Best Regards,
   Heiko