[ntp:questions] leap_add_sec still being advertised ?

David Malone dwmalone at maths.tcd.ie
Tue Jan 13 12:00:35 UTC 2009

Ronan Flood <usenet at umbral.org.uk> writes:

>Current ntp-stable has this comment in ntp_proto.c

> * combining algorithm. Consider each peer in turn and OR the
> * leap bits on the assumption that, if some of them honk
> * nonzero bits, they must know what they are doing.

>This has been changed in ntp-dev into a weighted vote.

Yep - that's what I had in mind, combined with the possibility of
some people having a copy of the leapseconds file installed manually
or via autokey.  Once most people are using the majority vote
version, I suspect that the number of people advertising the leap
will go down more quickly.

(The effective graph of who believes whose leap bits will also be
important - if it is ending up with cycles then the leap bits could
hang around for ever, even with the majority vote rule.)

	David.