[ntp:questions] ntpd IPv6 support on Windows?

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Tue Jan 13 15:06:19 UTC 2009

Danny Mayer wrote:
> Dave Hart wrote:
>> On Jan 12, 6:52 pm, ma... at ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer) wrote:
>>> We won't be supporting IPv6 on Windows
>>> 2000, it's just too difficult to deal with from a support point of view.
>>
>> OK, Windows 2000 is too difficult to deal with from a support point of
>> view.  Why on earth have we been talking about late-binding IPv6 APIs,
>> then?  Just build a binary that requires WinXP/Windows Server 2003 or
>> later by using getaddrinfo as usual, thereby requiring ws2_32.dll
>> export it for ntp binaries to load at all.  Boom, you've solved your
>> Windows NT and Windows 2000 support problems for good.
>>

> I was very specific here: I won't support Windows 2000 and IPv6. I did
> not say anything about not supporting Windows 2000 with IPv4.

I also agree to that. If we can use late binding at runtime it should be
possible to have a single binary which runs on Windows 2000 without support
for IPv6 and on newer Windows versions with support for IPv6.

I guess the runtime thing is similar to building e.g. on a Linux system
which basically supports IPv6 but where IPv6 is just disabled in the OS.

Then no IPv6 interfaces are found, so no IPv6 interfaces are used.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren