[ntp:questions] Sudden drop in frequency after software update

Adam Myrow myrowaspamtrap at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 19 15:09:32 UTC 2009

It would be interesting to know what kernel version those who are having
trouble with unstable drift in Linux are using.  I am using kernel
2.6.27.7, and it is very stable, varying no more than 5 PPM, even across
reboots.  It should be noted that I rebuilt my kernel with the timer
frequency set to 100HZ, and made sure that dynamic ticks was disabled.
This seems to produce the lowest drift values.  In an older 2.6 kernel,
I noticed the drift rate jumping all over the place as described.
However, it appears that this may have finally been fixed.