[ntp:questions] Vista NTP tamed, but with a blunt object

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Thu Jan 22 11:22:25 UTC 2009

Terje Mathisen wrote:
> Dave Hart wrote:
>> I've since realized that on this Vista laptop, the minimum step
>> observed from the OS clock is 1 msec but only after starting ntpd with
>> -M to use timeBeginPeriod to request 1ms timing service.  Run withouut
>> -M, my hacked ntpd observes the traditional 15.mumble msec clock
>> quantum.  That means the interpolation scheme should have a much
>> better shot at working on Vista without -M specified.
>
> I have used Vista-64 (and before that XP-64) on my laptop for quite
> awhile now, and atleast on this machine, I have always had better
> results without the -M timer than what I get with it enabled, so I
> always skip that part of the setup/installation.

Has one of you checked what happens if another program is started which sets
the MM timer to higher resolution?

On my Vista 32 system the interpolated system time steps by +30/-30
millisecond when ntpd runs without -M and then another program is
started/stopped which changes the MM timer to higher resolution.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren