[ntp:questions] refid 'STC ' ? What does "STC" signify?

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Thu Jan 22 14:40:35 UTC 2009

On 2009-01-22, Martin Burnicki <martin.burnicki at meinberg.de> wrote:

> Steve Kostecke wrote:
>
> [---=| Quote block shrinked by t-prot: 35 lines snipped |=---]
>>                                                           GPS, DCF
>> 39     hopf clock drivers by ATLSoft                      HOPF (default),
>>                                                           GPS, DCF
>> 40     JJY Receivers                                      JJY
>> 42     Zyfer GPStarplus Receiver                          GPS
>> 43     RIPE NCC interface for Trimble Palisade            RIPENCC
>> 44     NeoClock4X                                         NEOL
>
> AFAIK the refid (as reported in the ntpq -p billboard) can only have up to 4
> characters since it's transported in a 32 bit value in the NTP packet, so
> it's not possible to set it e.g. to "OMEGA" or "DUMBCLOCK".

Please see the reference IDs listed on the following pages (among
others):

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/drivers/driver5.html
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/drivers/driver33.html
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/drivers/driver43.html

I assembled a list based on the Official Distribution Documentation
to provide some useful information to our news-group readers in place
of the usual dismissive reply of "RTFM".

If there are errors in the documentation please contact the
documentation maintainer.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>