[ntp:questions] NTP broadcast on Windows2008

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.org
Fri Jul 3 01:49:45 UTC 2009

Earcom2 wrote:
> I need to be able to broadcast NTP out to a single subnet from a
> Windows 2008 server that sits on two networks.  I know that w32time
> does not support broadcasting, is it possible with ntpd?  Any help
> greatly appreciated.

I am broadcasting all the time on Windows when I run NTP. From my ntp.conf:
broadcast 10.60.29.255

Just choose the subnet you want to broadcast to. It will send out a
broadcast packet every 64 seconds. If you are using ntpd on the clients
as well you must also either set up authentication keys on both the
server and the clients or you have to disable authentication on the clients.

I also run multicast:
broadcast 224.0.1.1
broadcast ff05::101
if you prefer that mode.

Steve sent out some documentation references on doing this.

Danny

believed to be clean.