[ntp:questions] Keeping NTP Honest

Evandro Menezes evandro at mailinator.com
Fri Jul 10 19:19:38 UTC 2009

As I mentioned before, in some cases, NTP relies too much on low-
stratum servers, even when they're blatantly wrong.  For instance, the
last leap second event, when many pool servers were poorly configured.

Mulling over that, I wondered how I could tip NTP to scale down the
poll period in such cases.  So I tried this trick and it seems to work
fairly well when only one server is kaput:

server   pool.ntp.org iburst maxpoll 6
server 0.pool.ntp.org
server 1.pool.ntp.org
server 2.pool.ntp.org
server 3.pool.ntp.org

By having one server that remains polled every 64s, NTP could realize
more quickly that there was something rotten in Denmark.  However, if
that one server is neither selected nor a candidate, this trick
doesn't work.  I'd hesitate to make it the preferred server though.

Thoughts?

TIA