[ntp:questions] Keeping NTP Honest

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Mon Jul 13 22:59:06 UTC 2009

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> writes:

>Unruh wrote:
>[]
>> Use chrony. Much much faster reaction time and better clock control.
>> However you must be running Linux (yet another reason to change).
>[]

>Not much point in changing to Linux if all the applications I run require
>a different OS.

>For timekeeping, FreeBSD has a good reputation.

Not much point in switching to FreeBSD is all your applications require
a different OS. (Actrually I think but am not sure, that chrony can also
run on FreeBSD but I might be wrong)

Yes, I agree. On the other hand, many of the applications have their
Linux equivalants. On the other hand, it is just a reason to change, and
may not be an overriding reason.

Note that FreeBSD just uses ntp AFAIK, and the problems with ntp are
designed into ntp. They are not peculiar to some operating system.